Josiah Wedgwood went into partnership with Thomas Whieldon in 1754 and together they produced a great many beautiful designs which can be seen at Baralston Museum which houses the most comprehensive works collection in the industry of Wedgwood.
In 1759, Wedgwood left Whieldon's factory and set up his own factory. By 1763, Wedgwood had moved his enterprise from the "Ivy House" to the much bigger Brick House Works in Burselm, known as the "bell" works because of Wedgwood's propensity to call the workmen by the use of a bell versus a horn.
In 1762, Wedgwood met and became fast friends with Thomas Bentley; it was a partnership that would last until Bentley's death in 1780. Wedgwood was influenced by Bentley and under his instruction and guidance, his pottery works advanced successfully.
By 1763, Wedgwood was primarily focused on the production of creamware and letters show that he worked closely with Sadler and Green for transfer wares and D. Rhodes and Co. for enameling. During this period, Wedgwood also worked closely with Greatbatch to produce a great quantity of his creamware hollow-ware. By 1765, Wedgwood was well established and produced a tea set for Queen Charlotte. That tea set was responsible for his appointment as "Potter to her Majesty."
His finest achievement was his perfection of the creamware body which he did by 1768 by incorporating Cornish clay and china stone. While the foundation had been laid by others, it was Wedgwood's experimentation that led to the "creamware that conquered Europe," and that was undoubtedly his finest contribution to the field of pottery.
Prior to his passing in 1795, Wedgwood was granted the title, “the Father of English Potters” for all of his accomplishments in the field; Cauliflower wares; Black Basalt; Creamware; Pearlware, and so on.